Volunteer Telephone Adviser
Role: Borough Services Manager
Responsible to: Borough Services Manager
Location: Woolwich Citizens Advice Bureaux
Commitment: 2 days per week
Purpose of the role:
To help provide an effective and efficient telephone advice service for Greenwich residents and clients of Wellbeing Management Solutions (WSM).
To help influence government and other organisations by informing them of the effect of their actions on the lives of clients.
Main duties and responsibilities may include:
- Interviewing clients on the telephone by appointment.
- Finding, interpreting and communicating the relevant information and exploring options and implications in order that the client may be progressed.
- Completing clear and accurate case records using the relevant software.
- Keeping up to date on important issues by attending the appropriate training and by essential reading.
- Attending Team meetings.
Personal skills and qualities that an adviser needs:
- A commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Excellent telephone manner.
- Good communication skills.
- Being open and approachable.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and verbally.
- Ability to understand information and extract what is relevant.
- Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
- Respect for views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
- An understanding of why confidentiality is important.
- Using computers on a regular basis.
- A positive attitude to self-development and assessment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to recognise their own limits and boundaries within the role.