We are not currently recruiting for this role.
Responsible to: Borough Services Manager
Location: Woolwich Citizens Advice Bureaux
Commitment: 2 days per week
Purpose of the role:
To help provide an effective and efficient advice service to members of the public.
To help influence government and other organisations by informing them of the effect of their actions on the lives of clients.
Main duties and responsibilities may include:
- Interviewing clients, both face-to- face and on the telephone, letting the client explain their enquiry and helping the client to set priorities.
- Finding, interpreting and communicating the relevant information and exploring options and implications in order that the client can come to a decision.
- Acting, where necessary, on behalf of the client, negotiating, drafting or writing letters or making appropriate referrals.
- Completing clear and accurate case records.
- Recognising the root causes of problems and participating in taking appropriate action.
- Keeping up to date on important issues by attending the appropriate training and by essential reading.
- Attending bureau meetings.
Personal skills and qualities that an adviser needs:
- A commitment to the aims and principles of the CAB service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Being open and approachable.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand information and extract what is relevant.
- Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
- Respect for views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
- An understanding of why confidentiality is important.
- Being open to using computers on a regular basis.
- A positive attitude to self-development and assessment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to recognise their own limits and boundaries in the role.