Social Policy Worker
Responsible to: Borough Services Manager
Location: Woolwich/Eltham Citizens Advice Bureaux
Commitment: The minimum commitment is one day each week.
As a volunteer within the social policy team, you will be working closely with the social policy co-ordinator to help influence government and other organisations by informing them of the effect of their actions on the lives of clients. You will need to have good spoken and written English and be required to liaise frequently with colleagues, including external organisations.
- Apply Citizens Advice principles to social policy work
- Keep up to date with existing and potential current issues
- Maintain profile of social policy in the bureau
- Provide evidence to support social policy action and campaigns
- Initiate and plan social policy analysis and research
- Engage with external partners and agencies on social policy issues
- Take part in national or regional Citizens Advice social policy action
- Initiate and carry out local action for change, including campaigns
- Education up to degree level or equivalent
- Understanding of the importance of social policy work and a commitment to using social policy action to tackle problems at source.
- Understanding of key current social policy issues, and their potential impact on CAB clients.
- A good, up to date understanding of equality, diversity and discrimination and its application to social policy work.
- Ability to commit to and work within the aims, principles and policies of the Citizens Advice service.
- Ability to use IT systems and packages, and to use email and maintain an electronic diary.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate colleagues.
- Ability to engage with and work constructively with external agencies.
- Ability to research, analyse and interpret complex information.
- Ability to support bureau communications and promote social policy work both internally and externally, including engaging with the media and using social media.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative, within given guidelines.